Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Trains and Books

The weather here is gorgeous, and being unemployed I am taking full advantage of it! Yesterday I went with a friend and her four year old to ride the Zilker Zephyr. He is all about trains so he loved every minute. It was great to sit and watch a four year old take in the train, the people, Town Lake, and anything else that crossed his path.

I came home and finished “The Story of Forgetting” by Stefan Merrill Block. It was a good book, especially if you have ever had anyone close to you have Alzheimer’s. The story is told from the perspective of the old and the young which I thought was a nice structure. There were a few boring parts for me where the author really got into the science of the disease, but I know some will find this fascinating. I would recommend this book, a soft loving story that like most lives has their record of grief.

After making dinner I started another book, “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini. This book has been given a lot of praise as well as the one that came before, “The Kite Runner”. I had been told by friend that I should have nothing to do for a couple of days when I start this book because all I am going to want to do is read it. They were right. I lay in bed for almost two hours last night thinking about the book, wanting to get up and read more but telling myself I have plenty of time today to finish it. I am about to sit out on my upstairs porch and finish it. Pics included on where to find me today, I am very lucky.




View from my porch.


On the train with my favorite four year old.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day--a 4 year old, trains, good books. I've had those days, too:)

    ReplyDelete