Monday, March 30, 2009

Sunday Fun Day


I had quite the Sunday. My little sister ran the Capital 10k yesterday. For some reason I had it in my head that the race began at 8 am. I got up early to shower and get ready, thought I was running late so I was going to park at the one mile mark thinking I could catch her there. I find parking; call my sister to wish her good luck since I thought the race was starting in 15 minutes. She answers and it does not sound like she is in a crowd of people ready for a 10k.

“Hey what are you doing?”

“Oh downloading music to listen to for the race.”

“What?! You are going to miss it! You have 15 minutes!”

Laughing, “It starts at 8:45.”

So I was an hour early. I made my way down to the starting line and since I was so early I got to take in a whole bunch of people watching. Several people wear costumes which is great. Over 18,000 people were registered for this race, it was crazy. The day was beautiful but freezing. I got to see my little sister start the race and then went to finish line. There were so many people I missed her finishing, but I was happy to be there for moral support. It also inspired me to sign up next year.

I then grabbed a paper and headed to a new bar/restaurant. I had some time to kill until I met friends for lunch. I ordered what was possibly one of the most expensive cocktails I have ever had in my life. While it was very tasty, for what it costs it should have been served in a bucket. I can’t remember the name but it had fig infused Jim beam, roasted grapefruit juice, a vanilla liqueur, an orange slice and one or two more ingredients I can’t remember.

Next I met some friend’s at Fino. This is a wonderful restaurant that my best friend’s boyfriend manages. They have decided to start doing Sunday brunch and this was an invite only soft opening. The food was great; I got scrambled eggs with house cured salmon. As an appetizer I got the fried olives with anchovies, which I wish were always in my kitchen. They are also known for their classic cocktails. The bloody mary’s were great, they made their own tomato juice. Overall we had a great brunch and the restaurant will benefit I think from having Sunday brunch.

We had finished eating and my friend asks if I would like to come over and have a glass of wine on her back porch. This sounds great as the day has warmed up and was perfect for a porch and a glass of wine. Well she tricked me. Once in the car she says that she has to stop at the grocery store to grab a couple of things. Um a couple of things translate to her shopping for the week. My idea of hell is a centrally located grocery store on a Sunday afternoon because everyone is there! We made it fun, and actually got through the place pretty quickly. We sat on her back porch and finished going through the paper that I had bought that morning.

Then it was off to my sister’s where they were having an impromptu get together to break in their new grill. We laughed and I got to catch up with some people I had not seen in awhile. I consumed vast amounts of queso, I am not sure how one can not consume vast amounts when you standing right in front of it. Yes I could have moved, but I was helping cook so I HAD to be standing there!

Then it was home to bed. I am excited because the boyfriend is about 7 hours away. He has been helping pack up a friend who just got out of the military. They are driving from San Diego to Austin. I have not seen him for 6 long days. I am off to bake him cookies!

1 comment:

  1. This post was like watching the Food Network for me--will now wipe the drool from my chin!

    ReplyDelete