Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My First Garden

Apparently I have lost my mind. I have never kept a plant alive in my 32 years of life. I also have not tried very hard to keep plants alive. Everyone I talk to these days is doing the whole raised garden deal in their back yard, so I thought why can’t I? I did not want to build one, so I looked online to see if someone had basically a raised garden kit, I was thinking something along the lines of Linkin Logs. Well they have something like that but for $200 dollars. Since I am unemployed and there is no guarantee that anything I plant will survive I looked for another option. I found it, cinder blocks! They are cheap and you can make the space as big or as small as you please. Also the holes, you can put herbs in them! Bought the cinder blocks and then headed to a local nursery to talk to someone about my non green thumb. I found a very nice woman who is convinced I will have a very robust garden; I love other people’s optimism. I bought cilantro, dill, basil, eggplants, tomatoes, okra, squash, chili peppers, and green beans. I listened to everything the nice woman told me to do, I even took notes. Came home and got everything together and it looks really promising right now! My camera software is being a pain right now so I will have to post pictures later but right now I am filled with the optimism that the garden center lady had. I didn’t plant very much of each since I am the only one in the house that eats vegetables, I also wanted to kill as few plants as possible.

On another note one of my oldest friends is coming over from London and I can’t wait to see her! We went to high school together and then later lived in Boston together for the summer. She is now married to a wonderful British photographer. One of my favorite memories of my friend was when we were living in Boston and it was her birthday so we were going to have a party for her at our apartment. She was seeing three different men, and of course saw no problem with inviting all of them even though they did not know about each other. We had to put Happy 13th Birthday on the cake because she had lied about her age to all three men. She somehow pulled the evening off with not one of them realizing she had three dates there that night.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your garden--I've just recently heard of the cinder blocks, too. You will have to post the outcome!
    Your friend sounds incredible--that's quite a trick she pulled off.

    ReplyDelete