Monday, February 9, 2009

Listening In

I used to work with a woman that shared a hobby of mine, listening to other people’s conversations at restaurants. When we were out together we would split up the restaurant and then share what we had heard after dinner. If we could not hear them we would guess what they were talking about by their body language. I actually always enjoyed the ones we made up over what we actually heard.
I used to wait tables. It was Valentines which is the absolute worst night to wait tables. I had this one couple and the man had me put a ring in her dessert. I noticed that she already had a wedding ring but this one was larger, I assumed an upgrade. I served the desserts and when the woman saw the ring her eyes got big and I got ready for the squeal of excitement. Instead what came out of her mouth was the voice of incredulous disgust. I of course quickly walked away. From what I could tell they were having financial problems and while he thought he was doing something kind she saw it as foolish and on par for his idiocy. I felt sorry for the guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment